Barrambin Evidence Reaches Federal minister as Clearing Continues

August 7

Yagara Magandjin Aboriginal Corporation (YMAC) strengthened its campaign to protect Barrambin/Victoria Park on 14 August 2026, announcing that Yagara Elders had presented a cultural heritage evidence book to Commonwealth representatives while clearing continued across the park.

The photographs show YMAC Elders Aunty Sandra King OAM and Gaja Kerry Charlton with Save Victoria Park representatives and copies of the Caring for Barrambin Book. YMAC said the book brings together evidence demonstrating the significance of Barrambin as a whole, including its old trees, sacred water systems and cultural heritage.

The handover occurred while federal protection processes remained unresolved. On 31 May 2026, Federal Environment Minister Murray Watt confirmed that four applications seeking longer-term declarations under section 10 of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Heritage Protection Act 1984 remained under assessment.

Brisbane City Council records that parts of the Herston side of Victoria Park/Barrambin were transferred to the Games Independent Infrastructure and Coordination Authority on 1 June 2026 for venue construction.

By 14 August, YMAC said it had documented the removal of at least 200 trees within a matter of days. YMAC also said Traditional Custodians had not been notified before the clearing. The figure of 200 trees remains a count reported by YMAC and should continue to be attributed accordingly unless an independently audited total becomes available.

Gaja Kerry Charlton said:

“This destruction could and should have been prevented while federal protection processes remained unresolved.”

“This book documents what is at risk, while the evidence from the ground shows the devastating impact on wildlife as trees and habitat are removed.”

Her message was direct:

“It is too late for what has already been lost, but there is still so much more to save.”

YMAC called for an immediate, mandatory pause on further irreversible works while the outstanding federal assessments were completed. It also called for Traditional Yagara Custodians to be directly involved in every decision affecting Country.

The handover placed months of cultural advocacy and collected evidence directly before those administering the federal process. It created a formal record that decision-makers had been asked to act before further irreversible loss occurred.

KEY FACT
Four section 10 applications remained under federal assessment on 31 May 2026. State works proceeding at the same time did not mean those applications had been decided

View the gallery

See the continuing photographic record of the destruction at Barrambin/Victoria Park: View the Barrambin gallery

Sources

Daily image caption:

Destruction at Barrambin —August 8, 2026
Today’s image forms part of YMAC’s continuing record of the damage occurring across Barrambin/Victoria Park.

View the complete photographic record: Barrambin destruction in the gallery section on our website

Next
Next